Happy New Year!!! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. We had a very relaxing weekend. I had a goal…to get into my PJs on Friday and not have to put on regular clothes until Monday…and I managed to do it. Luckily, on Friday night I went to Macy’s and bought several new pairs of pajamas. So I was I warm and cozy and relaxed all weekend…but I still wasn’t ready to get up for work this morning!
I had planned to write a recap post over the weekend, but I never quite got around to it. But I wanted to mark the start of the new year somehow. So I decided to give you a 101 update. It’s been a while and there are some new things crossed off the list…
- Send someone flowers for no reason
Pay for a strangers meal at a drive-through– Completed 9/3/10…read about it here. Give a microloan through kiva.org– Completed 9/3/10 and it’s been fully repaid! I think I am on my third round of loans now.
- Find out my blood type and donate blood
- Travel to 5 places I’ve never been – 3 down…Savannah, GA…Edmonton, AB, Canada…and Lexington KY…2 more to go and I can’t wait to start planning another trip!
- Take a road trip alone
- Take a walking tour of NYC
Visit the Statue of Liberty– Done during the Shana/Ally NYC extravaganza.
- Spend a weekend in Atlantic City
- Go on vacation with my sister-in-law
- Travel somewhere by train
- Go to Disney World
- Write a novel
- Participate in NaNoWriMo
Participate in NaBloPoMo– Done! Finished on 11/30/11 Redesign my blog– The new design went live on 11/6/11! Comment on every blog post I read for one week– Completed on 3/27/11
- Crochet an afghan using the yarn I’ve had in the closet for a year – In progress…I was about halfway done, but I hated it, so I took it all out and started over.
- Refinish a piece of furniture – In progress…working on re-doing my kitchen set…pictures to follow.
- Use my sewing machine…finally
Take a photography class– Completed…I finished the class on December 21st and I can’t wait to sign up for the next one.
- Take 48 pictures in 1 day and create a photo book of a day in my life
- Do a 365 day photo project
- Create a monthly scrapbook every month for 1 year
- Make a calendar to give as a Christmas gift – This was a goal for this Christmas…but it was an epic fail. Next year for sure.
- Buy a Flip camera and make 1 home movie per week for 1 year – Well…I got the camera for Christmas last year…now I just need to start using it.
- Create a journal of clippings, photos, quotes and other things I love – I bought a SmashBook and I started this project…so far I love it.
- Create an emergency kit for both houses
- Drink 64 ounces of water every day for 64 days straight
- Complete the Couch to 5K program
- Reach my goal weight and stay there – In progress…joined Jenny Craig in Feb 2011.
- Take the dogs on a walk for at least 30 minutes every day for 1 month
- Take a yoga class
- Save $10,000 – I’m making great progress on this. I managed to put a huge chunk of my bonus into savings. I have a way to go, but I’m getting there.
- Pay off all my credit cards in full each month for 1 year – Right now, all my balances are $0! My year starts today.
- Go 1 month without making a non-essential purchase (food is essential)
- Sell 5 things on Ebay
- Sell something I make on Etsy
- Study something entirely new
- Conquer a fear
- Go to 5 different museums – 3 down…The Ellis Island Museum, The Discovery Times Square Museum and The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Create a house cleaning schedule and stick to it
- Go to bed at 9PM every night for 1 week
- Wake up at 5AM every morning for 1 week
Keep my inbox empty for 1 month– I started this back in April and it’s lasted much longer than a month.
- Write a will and advanced medical directive
- Write “in case of death” letters
- Pick a day to perform random acts of kindness
- Watch the sunrise and sunset on the same day
- Watch the sunset and the sunrise without going to bed
- Get a library card
- Answer the “50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind” – Started 10/1/10 and I’ve answered about 17 so far. I thought I would fly through this one, but they are pretty tough questions.
Go to the zoo in the spring to see the baby animals– Completed on 5/31/11 with a trip to The Bronx Zoo
- Eat a meal alone in a restaurant
- Go to the movies alone at least once every 6 months
- Get a henna “tatoo” on my hands
- Get properly measured and buy 3 really good bras once per year – I actually went twice this year.
- Go to mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral
Give everyone on my Christmas list a handmade gift– Completed on 12/25/11. Everyone got at least one handmade item this year and it was a huge success. I will be doing this in the future as much as possible.
- Get a bikini wax
Purchase a 1 year subscription to the NY Lottery– Completed 11/22/10…I’ll let you know if I win!
- Reach 500 blog posts – Today’s post marks #415
Do three more blog giveaways– 1st (apron), 2nd (12 days of Christmas, which I’m counting as one) and 3rd (Kiva card).
- Order room service
Write a love letter– Done on 8/26/11…I gave it to J for his birthday.
- Organize every room of my house – I’m almost there. The kitchen, both bathrooms, our bedroom and the linen closet are done. I just have the guest room and den…which, unfortunately, have the most junk.
- Buy myself a diamond ring (like Oprah’s pinky ring)
- Watch every movie currently on my Neflix queue – In progress…I’ve gotten about 125 down…only a few hundred left!
- Watch all the movies we own on DVD…even the stupid ones
Meet a blog friend in person– Completed on 10/29/10 when I met the fabulous Ally.
- Go snorkeling
- Read 100 books – In progress…56 down.
- Have a girls night once per month
- Do a boudoir photo shoot – This will be happening in February.
- Visit a psychic
- Spend a day lying in a hammock reading and napping
- Take a walk in the rain
- Ride in a hot air balloon
- Build a snowman
- Color an entire coloring book – I got an awesome coloring book and a huge box of crayons and colored pencils for my birthday, so this will be finished soon.
- Carve a pumpkin
- Go on a date with J once per month
See 3 Broadway shows– I saw Elf on 12/4/10, The Motherfucker in the Hat on 5/31/11 and Wicked on 11/15/11
- Go to 5 concerts – 2down…Jay-Z and Eminem on 9/14/10, Sarah McLachlan on 1/12/11, 3 to go
Dress up for Halloween– Completed 10/31/10
- Buy a completely impractical dress just because I love it
- Throw a party
- Go out dancing
- Watch season 1 of Mad Men, Glee and Arrested Development (to see what everyone is talking about)
Go to a midnight movie premiere– Completed 11/19/10 when I went to the premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Celebrate Champagne Friday every week for 1 month
- Shoot a gun at a shooting range
Play hooky from work one day for no reason– Did this at the beginning of September…it was fabulous.
- Attend a taping of a TV show
Take the pastry class at ICE– Completed 10/8/10…which you can read about here or here or here
- Cook my way through a cookbook
- Create a signature cupcake
- Put together a recipe book from all the random recipes in the kitchen
- Give a copy of that recipe book to someone as a gift
- Write a blog post about each item I complete on the list
- Write a new 101 list
That’s where I am. 19 completed…82 to go. That seems really daunting. Some are long term and are going to take me a year or so to complete…but I’d like to get at least 20 more completed before Easter. Think I can do it???