This week at work has sucked and it’s not looking to get any better until Tuesday. Man…I really hate tax season.
Since I have to get back to the taxes, these are my random musings of the week…
- Why does it always seem that a bad day just always gets worse and worse? When something bad happens to me in the morning, my day rarely recovers. It’s just a series of one thing after another until the day turns into a total shit show. Just once, I’d like to have the day balance out. I run out of conditioner in the shower, but then my hair turns out awesome. I miss my train by 32 seconds but then the next train gets in 5 minutes early. The gas light goes on in the car while I’m rushing to an appointment, but then I find a gas station where gas is super cheap. Maybe it’s a matter of attitude…one bad thing happens and then all I can see are the bad things for the rest of the day? Maybe I just need an attitude adjustment.
- Is it rude to send out Christmas cards with just a pre-printed signature? I realize it’s only September and this question is a little early…but I like to get a head start on the holiday planning. Usually I hand write all of my Christmas cards and, if I can, I put a little note in along with the greeting and the signatures. But I’m wondering if that’s overkill. Is it no longer necessary to go that extra step? I always thought it was impersonal to just have cards printed up and stick them in an envelope. But maybe that’s the new normal and I’ve got to get with the times. What do you guys think? Is my personal touch appreciated or unnecessary?
- Last weekend I watched Jay Mohr’s comedy special on Showtime. I love that guy…he’s hilarious and I laughed out loud the whole time. At one point, he was talking about adult diapers and how he and his wife decided to try adult diapers when their baby was born just to see what it was like for the baby. I was laughing so hard…that I had to pause the show so I could go to the bathroom. I’m wondering if that could have been the power of suggestion. Did watching Jay Mohr talk about peeing for 15 minutes send out the subconscious message that I should go pee? Or was it just a coincidence.
- Do you think it’s strange for a guy to take on his wife’s last name as part of his name? Speaking of Jay Mohr…he did just that, which I found out by Googling him while watching the special. His name is legally Jay Cox Mohr. I’m not sure if I think that’s a sweet gesture or if I think it’s the sign of a guy that is far to whipped.
And lastly, I have the thought that has occupied the major part of my brain for the last few weeks…
- What the hell is going on with all the spiders??? Look, I’m not afraid of bugs, generally. But when those bugs are bigger than a small dog…we have a problem. All giant bugs are an issue, but giant spiders freak me the fuck out. And right now, those suckers are EVERYWHERE!!! The other night, J went out the kitchen door to throw out the garbage. There was a huge spider spinning a web across the doorway. J hit it with the beer bottle in his hand and it actually made a “clink” sound when it hit the glass. Like when Jeff Daniels is trying to kill the spiders in his basement in Arachnophobia. Right now, as I type this, there is a huge spider spinning a web in our pear tree in the back yard. And if the spiders in Westchester are big…you should see the monsters in CT. Seriously…if NY is Arachnophobia, CT is Eight Legged Freaks. Those spiders are ginormous. And because I haven’t had enough small heart attacks this week at work, I found this guy when I got out of the car to get gas last night…
Yup…he was just sitting in the door of the car all warm and cozy. I about died right there in the gas station. The best part was…when I batted him away with my credit card, he was still attached to the door by his web stringy things and he sprung right back at me like he was on…well, a spring. Do spiders die in the winter? God I hope so…because I can’t take much more of this.
That’s it for me this week. I’m off to get back to the taxes. Did I mention how much I hate tax season? I really, really hate it.
I hope everyone has a better weekend than I will!