I was a bit of a slacker this week when it came to taking notes. I’m expecting some guests this weekend and I’ve been busy running around all week, trying to get my house ready. Tons of things happened that made me think “that is perfect for Friday’s post” and then I hurried off to the next task and never wrote anything down.
So this week, instead of my usual random musings…I am going to give you the five random lessons I learned this week…
- If you want something done right, do it yourself. This is probably a lesson I should have learned a long time ago, but I continually give people the benefit of not being total idiots. That usually backfires on me. This week, this lesson hit home so many times that I’ve finally learned it for good. No one is going to do things exactly the way you would and if it’s really that important to you…just do it yourself. Or risk seeing your favorite dress thrown in the dryer and shrunken down to American Girl Doll size.
- No matter how sad or mad or frustrated you are…a little puppy love will cheer you right up. I came home from work in a foul mood the other night and I was cranky and pissy. Then I watched the saddest show on television. When the dogs know I’m upset, the give me kisses. Those kisses made me forget my annoying day and made me forget why I was so sad.
- Perseverance pays off. This week, a man graduated from Columbia University. He came to this country from Albania in the 1990’s and got a job at the university as a janitor. For six years, he took classes part-time to learn English. Then he started taking classes toward his degree. It took him 20 years, but he did it. He has his degree now and he’s going to go on for a master’s. That’s dedication. I think we can all learn something from him.
- Doing simple favors for people earns you serious gratitude. There was a large family meeting going on in my office yesterday. One of the attorneys we work with needed something signed by someone in that meeting. It’s not generally accepted to interrupt meetings like that. No one wanted to do it. But this attorney has done me big favors before, so I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I got the forms signed and now…the attorney is supremely grateful…and probably willing to help me out the next time I need a favor. Everyone wins.
And lastly…I have the most important lesson of all…
- Cupcakes are better than Prozac. I was in a seriously shitty mood on Wednesday. Everything and everyone was annoying me. So I decided to have the salted caramel cupcake I mentioned in my last post. I took one bite and the tension just melted away. By the time I was finished eating the cupcake my shoulders were relaxed and I had a big smile on my face. It was probably a sugar high…but just taking a few minutes away from the annoying stuff and enjoying my delicious treat was enough to change my whole mood. It wasn’t as good as puppy kisses, but it was damn close!
There you have it…5 random lessons I learned this week. I don’t know if I’m going to be around much next week. I have a very full week planned…trying to show my two favorite Canadians how awesome NY is in an effort to convince them to move here for good. It probably won’t work, but I’m sure we’ll have fun anyway. But I’ll definitely be back next Friday for Random Musings…so make sure you stop by.
Now…grab the button, link up below and tell me your random musings for the week!