Welcome to the special hurricane edition of Random Musings Friday. Everyone here on the East Coast is busy panicking and buying tons of bread and water. Usually, I make fun of the people running off to the grocery store like they are preparing for the zombie apocalypse every time there is even a slight threat of a storm…but this time, I’m one of those people. I have a list of things to do tonight that includes taking cash out of the ATM, filling the cars with gas, buying extra flashlights and batteries and candles, charging the cell phones and the nook and stocking up on food. I will also be stocking up on magazines and crossword puzzles, so that J and I have something to do while we sit in the dark, going stir crazy and trying not to kill each other.
Speaking of J…today is his birthday. My original plan was to present you with the Random Musings of J…you know, in honor of his birthday and also because he’s usually really funny. But he’s been cranky all week because of work, so he’s been less funny. In fact, this week the hurricane has been much funnier. So here I give you a mishmash of really random stuff…
- Last night I was really tired and J was busy working, so the dogs and I headed upstairs to bed without him. I woke up around 2AM and I heard that the TV in the living room was off and the house was quiet. I looked over to see if J was in bed and all I saw was the dogs. I got up to go investigate…and I stepped on J…who was laying on the floor. Apparently, the dogs decided that they were comfortable and refused to move over and make room for him and he didn’t want to wake me up, so he was going to sleep on the floor. But we managed to get the dogs to move a little and make some room for him to get into bed.
- My co-worker texted me this morning to tell me that she wasn’t going to be coming to work today. She decided to call in “panicked”…you know, since she’s not sick exactly. She’s at home right now, readying her emergency supplies, which include flashlights, a radio, blankets, rain ponchos, canned food and bottled water…and a blow-up urinal. I’m not even joking. I think that might be the most amusing emergency kit I’ve ever heard of.
- You may have heard that there was an earthquake in Virginia earlier this week and we felt the tremors all the way up here in NY. Well…during that time, J was in a meeting and we never got the chance to talk until later that night when he picked me up at the train. I decided to give him a bit of a hard time…so I got in the car and accused him of being so unconcerned with my safety during a major event like an earthquake that he couldn’t even pick up the phone to see if I was alright. His response…”Nice try…the ground barely shook for 4 seconds…and you didn’t even think anything of it…you didn’t even want to leave your desk, right?” It’s annoying that he knows me so well.
- A really drunk guy with no teeth sat next to me on the bus last night and wanted to chat. His breath reeked of alcohol so badly that I had to chew gum to try to overcome the smell. It didn’t work. So the whole way home I had to listen to drunken stories of his 22-year-old girlfriend and the charmed life he leads. There was no traffic and we got home in record time, but I can honestly say that it was the longest bus ride of my life.
- Every morning, on my walk to the office, I pass the Central Park Zoo. Most mornings the animals are sitting in their pens, still asleep or resting. But sometimes, the goats are out and running around. And sometimes…like this morning…they are jumping and playing and talking loudly to each other…and randomly standing on tree stumps. Like this…
I don’t really understand why they stand up on the stumps…but I think it’s hilarious.
- The other day I saw a kid on the subway with green hair and very odd clothes. People were staring at him and he was getting upset. He made a comment to his friend that people on the train were being really rude. The way I look at it is…if you are going to have green hair, you should expect people to stare at you. If you don’t like it, make your hair a normal color. Otherwise…suck it up. Am I wrong
And those are my random musings of the week. I’m off now to go find a blow-up urinal…because I think every emergency kit should have one.
Happy Birthday J…sorry it’s going to be filled with my insane preparations for the end of life as we know it. But I promise to feed you chicken wings for dinner tonight!
Have a great weekend and, if you are in the path of Irene, stay safe!