I love the Academy Awards. I love the fashion and the statues and the speeches and the corny jokes. There is nothing I don’t like about it. I think awards shows are lame…except for the Academy Awards.
Even though I didn’t get to see all of this years nominated movies, I was very excited to watch the show. I love Anne Hathaway and James Franco and I was looking forward to what they would bring. Sadly…not much.
Here are the rest of my observations on the Oscars…
- There were a lot of fashion disasters this year. My favorite dress by far went to Hailee Steinfeld. It was perfect for her and she looked great…but she also looked 14…
- The opening skit…terrible. You guys are seriously telling me that with all the talent in Hollywood at your disposal, this is the best you can do? That’s pretty bad.
- I realize that the joke with James Franco’s grandmother was kind of lame and cheesy. But the fact that Mark Wahlberg really has no sense of humor about being called Marky Mark made that bit priceless in my eyes.
- Who the hell thought letting Kirk Douglas present an award was a good idea? The man is a legend. Can’t we let him keep a little dignity? The whole bit was so uncomfortable that we just fast forwarded through it.
- Justin Timberlake’s reference to “Banksy” was completely lost on me. I had to Google it to figure out what he was talking about. I guess I’m not in the young, hip demographic the Oscars were catering to this year.
- For some reason, I had no idea that Christian Bale was English. When he started his speech and I heard his accent, I thought it was doing some sort goofy bit. How did I manage not to know that?
- Could Scarlett Johanssen not find a hair brush? Maybe she thought not combing her hair made her edgier. I can’t stand her on a good day, but this was just made me like her less.
- The Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. bit was the funniest of the night. Of course, hooker jokes are always funny. But those two have such a great rapport and that made it so much funnier.
- Jennifer Hudson looked pretty hot in that dress…but was it me, or was she talking funny? It’s like she was trying to be too proper and it came out sounding bad. Right? I don’t know…there was just something off about her.
- I thought Natalie Portman’s speech was great and thank goodness she didn’t make any corny jokes like she did at the Golden Globes. Although…I think she should have switched her dresses for the two events. Her Golden Globes dress was so much prettier.
- Sandra Bullock’s speech while presenting the best actor awards was great. Of course, she could have stood there and said nothing and I would have thought she was great…because I had a bit of a girl crush on her, but that’s besides the point. She’s always funny and charming and classy…and so much better off without that idiot husband of hers. I wish she would get together with Ryan Reynolds. I like them as a couple.
- I thought the ending with all the kids singing and all the winners coming out was great. I know some people hated it (at least, that’s what I read this morning), but I thought it was adorable and a good way to end the show.
Next year, I think they should stop trying so hard to be funny. Stop trying to force comedy and leave the funny lines to the comedians. And for the love of God…please try to come up with a good opening skit! It really can’t be that hard.