You know what I don’t understand? I don’t understand how a computer can win at Jeopardy, but the IT department in my office can’t keep the network from being down an entire day when someone accidentally cuts a wire 6 blocks away. Ah, the mysteries of modern technology.
So it was decidedly low-tech in my office yesterday. I did things like writing checks by hand instead of printing them from Quickbooks and I manually filled out forms instead of using Adobe Writer. During lunch I had to read a book instead of catching up on blogs and Dear Abby like I normally do. I also wasn’t able to edit and publish the post I wrote for yesterday…so you’ll be seeing that one on Monday.
For today, I have some pretty good random musings for you. I encountered a lot of stupidity this week and I got some great material. I don’t know what I’ll do if people stop doing stupid things…
- Last weekend, as I pulled out of the Target parking lot, I noticed a Goodwill across the street. I’m looking for a table for my entry way and I haven’t had much luck so far, so I decided to give Goodwill a try. As I was walking across the parking lot, I realized I was walking into Goodwill carrying a Gucci bag. It kind of reminded me of Jen Lancaster taking her Prada to the unemployment office. I wondered if anyone would give me dirty looks or think I was a jerk. I wasn’t in there long as they didn’t have what I was looking for, but no one was openly hostile. However, I think if I go back I’ll leave the Gucci at home.
- I ordered chicken wings for J on Valentine’s Day…just like I said I was going to. As I mentioned…the place has delicious food, but I hate going there with the fire of a thousands suns. It’s teeny tiny and super crowded and the wait staff is not great. So I walked in to pick up my order and I squeezed past the ten drunken idiots at the bar…reeking of beer and singing La Grange by ZZ Top…and finally made my way to the waitress station. Someone comes over and asks my name then she disappears into the back. Ten minutes later, she emerges wearing different clothes and carrying her coat…I guess because she was going home. She looks at me and says “Did anyone bring out your order?” Why, yes…yes they did…but these guys at the bar are such good singers that I decided to just hang out here a little longer. Seriously!?!? No, I tell her, no one brought out my order. She sent someone back to retrieve it and I was finally able to get out of there. I told J that he’s not getting wings from there again until next Valentine’s Day!
- Oh…and those guys at the bar…the ones that were drunk and singing at the tops of their lungs? They were also trying to hit on every chick that walked in the place and they got turned down every time. As it turns out, being shit-faced in a bar with your buddies on Valentine’s Day isn’t really a turn on. Even if you sing ZZ Top songs. Who would have thought?
- All week there have been crews along Central Park trimming the trees that overhang 5th Avenue. As they cut the branches, they let them fall onto the sidewalk below. Obviously, they don’t want to hit anyone, so they have the area where they are working blocked off with yellow caution tape. It’s pretty hard to miss…there are several strips of bright yellow tape and signs that say caution…oh, and a big giant cherry picker in the middle of the sidewalk! Most people, upon seeing this, cross the street. Yesterday, one woman decided crossing the street was unnecessary. She ducked under the tape and continued walking down the sidewalk. Luckily, one of the workers saw her and shouted at her to get out of the way and then grabbed her arm…right before a giant branch fell where she’d just been standing. Then he screamed at her to get to the other side of the street. She actually got huffy and annoyed and mouthed off to the guy…instead of thanking him. Some people are such jerks.
- The other night I came downstairs after changing out of my work clothes and I headed into the kitchen. J called me and asked me to come into the living room first. He was sitting on the couch with a glass in his hand and when I asked what he wanted he handed me the glass and said “Here…you are going to need this.” I asked why I would be needing his glass he replied “To fill it with ice”. I took it, walked into the kitchen, filled it with ice…and left it on the counter. Then I returned to the living room with my own glass of ice. That will teach him to try to be cute instead of just asking nicely.
Well, I’m off to enjoy my nice loooong weekend! We are heading to CT tonight and since I’m off Monday and Tuesday, I’m hoping to get a lot done…like hanging drapes and painting walls and putting up pictures. J’s only going to be in CT until Sunday and then he’s got to go to work. I expect to be very productive in his absence! Hopefully I’ll have some photos next week. Have a wonderful weekend!